St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba was established in 1922 by the Sisters of Charity. The hospital was built on land in Scott Street and since then it has had two buildings added plus many renovations and refurbishments over the years.
Today we are a 176 bed facility and the largest acute private hospital on the Darling Downs. Patients come from across the Darling Downs and South West Queensland, a region on the western slopes of the Great Dividing Range in southern Queensland.
In 2012 we became the first hospital in the region to establish an in-house clinical school for Nursing and Midwifery education.
In 2002 we established the first dedicated private Intensive Care Unit thanks to the generosity of local philanthropist Mr Clive Berghofer AM.
The St Vincent’s group
St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba is part of St Vincent's Health Australia (SVHA) – the nation's largest Catholic not-for-profit health and aged care provider.
SVHA health and aged care facilities deliver compassionate and high quality services that perpetuate the vision of our founder Mary Aikenhead – to reach out to all in need of care.
St Vincent’s has been providing health care in Australia since 1857, when the Sisters of Charity established the first hospital in Sydney.
The Sisters of Charity legacy continues to inspire the St Vincent’s mission. SVHA has grown to encompass a diverse range of health services, residential care, research and education.
We conduct services in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria in 20+ public hospitals, private hospitals, and aged care facilities.